Saturday, September 26, 2009

Nature vs. Blaming Mommy

When I was a freshmen in high school I took an advanced English course. The school was Frankfurt American High School, in Frankfurt, West Germany. (How times have changed!) My teacher was an elderly lady that had been afflicted with polio. She had a cane and a limp along with other complications. I don't remember her name; however, I do remember she was a freaking hard ass teacher. I really think that she brought out the philosopher in me. I didn't pass her class with flying colours, but I did pass. One of the themes in that class was Nature vs. Nurture. I grasped the concept and my stance was Nature.

Now, more than ever my stance is Free Will. When a child misbehaves or does something outlandish EVERY ONE'S initial response is: Where is his/her mother? Not the father, mind you. The assumption is: mommy is at home and her job is to teach morality, confidence, and truths. The father is out at work providing food and shelter. He may or may not have a hand in raising children.

My profession is Motherhood. I chose this profession with great care. I am able to sustain a job in the workforce. It would make the financial aspects of our lives a lot more comfortable. However, I thought about having someone else raising my children and I didn't want that. I wanted to be involved with their learned behavior.

Now PLEASE don't get me wrong: this is MY choice. There are women that can work a job, be a mother, be a partner and LOVE it. Kudoos to those that can do this. I don't begrudge them anything. I am not jealous...okay, maybe of a little time alone, but not of their choice.

I try my damnedest to teach my children what I view as right from wrong. I try hard to instill my code of ethics and morals. I know that if I give them a base line right now - when they are most susceptible to ideas - when they grow up they have some sort of reference to fall back upon. HOWEVER, this does not mean that they will refer to anything as they grow older. They have something called Free Will.

Free Will is a great tool. I have learnt a LOT in my life because of Free Will. I have done some rather stupid things and some really wonderful things. And because of this, I either paid the consequence or reaped the benefits. I don't blame nor give credit to my parents for my Free Will. It is mine and mine alone.

I want others to do the same. Here is an example of Free Will: Kids lighting fire crackers that are planted in their...well....asses. I'm sure, but don't know, that the mom has not shown them how to do this. A scalded sphincter is the consequence to a moronic act. Hopefully they learn not to do it again in the future. I've watched it enough on YouTube to know that this kind of stupidity crosses nationalities and age.

Please don't blame the Mommies. I can't speak for others, but I do know that I am trying my damnedest. And if my boys decide to do something like....light firecrackers in their sphincters, video it and upload it to Youtube......I won't take the blame. I'll take them to the hospital, but not the blame.

No comments:

Post a Comment